- Fabuloso multipurpose cleaning products are being recalled voluntarily after manufacturers said an insufficient amount of preservative may have led to bacteria growth in its cleaners.
- Five different scents of Fabuloso’s Multi-Purpose Cleaner are impacted by the recall, for a total of 17 distinct products. They were sold online as well as in stores, including at Walmart and Home Depot, as recently as January 2023.
- Impacted customers must check their products’ UPC code as well as manufacturing lot codes to avoid any potential risk of bacterial infection, particularly for those with pre-existing lung issues and other underlying health conditions.
Manufacturers at Colgate-Palmolive have launched a voluntary recall of the multi-purpose cleaner Fabuloso, impacting as many as 4.9 million bottles of the product recently sold online and in retail stores across America and in Canada.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), these cleaners are being recalled due to potential bacterial contamination, which may prompt infections in those with weakened immune systems and other underlying health conditions.
The bacteria in question are known as Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Pseudomonas fluorescens, which can pose threats to respiratory health through inhalation, as well as absorbed through eye contact or an open wound. While CPSC materials indicated that those with a healthy immune system aren’t easily susceptible to this kind of bacteria, those who have pre-existing lung conditions are more likely to experience a bacterial infection after being exposed — as well as those who are considered immunocompromised, among others. Currently, there haven’t been reports of any illnesses stemming from this potential contamination.
Table of Contents
More From Good Housekeeping
Colgate-Palmolive, Fabuloso’s manufacturer, told consumers in its recall notice that a production error had led to an “inadequate” amount of a preservative used in manufacturing the affected cleaners. The bacteria — which the manufacturer adds are “environmental organisms found widely in soil and water” — may have potentially grown over time in the now-recalled bottles of cleaners.
Preservatives are a crucial ingredient in household cleaners, explains Carolyn Forté, executive director of the Good Housekeeping Institute‘s Home Care and Cleaning Lab. “Preservatives help keep the formula mixed, shelf-stable and safe to use for a long time,” she says, adding that the milder the formula, the more important of a role preservatives play to keep bacteria and fungi from growing.
The products were widely available to consumers recently, including through Amazon, as well as retailers including Walmart, Home Depot, Dollar General and Family Dollar, among others, per CPSC. Approximately 80% of the recalled bottles (around 3.9 million in all) were recently pulled from shelves before they could even be sold, Colgate-Palmolive indicated.
The rest were sold to consumers between December 2022 and January 2023, according to recall notices, which means Americans (as well as Canadians) may have the cleaner in use or unopened at home currently. Read on to learn more about this voluntary recall and to see a full list of impacted Fabuloso products, as well as how affected shoppers can request a refund.
Which Fabuloso products are being recalled?
There are five versions of Fabuloso’s multi-purpose hard-surface cleaner that may be tainted with bacteria, namely distinguished by the type of scent associated with each product. None of Fabuloso’s “Antibacterial” products, a distinction clearly marked on its packaging, is included in this recall.
Shoppers who purchased one of the following Fabuloso multi-purpose cleaners with the following scents may be at risk:
- Refreshing Lemon
- Passion of Fruits
- Spring Fresh
If you’ve purchased a bottle of Fabuloso cleaner made in one of these scents within the last two months, you’ll need to check the product’s 12-digit UPC code and manufacturing lot codes to confirm whether your product is impacted. You’ll find the UPC code printed on the product’s barcode and the lot code etched into the bottle’s side, both of which have been illustrated on the official recall notice.
Below, you’ll find a full list of all the Fabuloso products that are being recalled, alongside an official UPC code.
- Fabuloso® Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent, 16.9 OZ + 30% Free Bonus Pack (22 FL OZ): 035000995025
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent, 56 FL OZ: 035000530325
Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent, 128 FL OZ: 035000530585
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent, 169 FL OZ: 035000531223
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent, 210 FL OZ: 035000531230
- Fabuloso® Professional All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser, Lavender Scent, 1 GALLON: 035110043074
- Fabuloso® Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 16.9 OZ + 30% Free Bonus Pack (22 FL OZ): 035000995018
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 33.8 FL OZ: 035000974716
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 56 FL OZ: 035000470416
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 128 FL OZ: 035000973542
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 169 FL OZ: 035000969873
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 33.8 FL OZ: 035000530981
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 56 FL OZ: 035000530301
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 128 FL OZ: 035000530608
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 169 FL OZ: 035000458162
- Fabuloso® Multi-Purpose Cleaner Bleach Alternative 2X Concentrated Formula, Spring Fresh Scent, 56 FL OZ: 035000530998
- Fabuloso® Professional All Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser, Ocean Scent, 1 GALLON: 035110043739
Shoppers can review full images of affected products via Fabuloso’s official recall notice, which also includes a comprehensive illustrated guide of which Fabuloso cleaners were not impacted by this potential bacterial contamination.
What to do if you bought a recalled Fabuloso product:
If you’re able to confirm that you are currently using or have purchased a recalled bottle of Fabuloso, manufacturers are asking impacted customers to stop using the cleaner immediately. Impacted individuals are also asked not to empty the Fabuloso bottles before disposing of them safely, to avoid any risk of infection.
Current reimbursement forms released by Fabuloso indicate that shoppers may need to take a picture of the impacted product as proof of purchase before tossing it.
How to get a refund from Fabuloso:
Affected shoppers can request a full refund from Colgate-Palmolive either by contacting customer service at 1-855-703-0166 or by submitting a refund request online. You won’t be able to return the product to the point of purchase for a refund, per Fabuloso’s recall notice.
“We greatly value the trust that our consumers and their families have in our Fabuloso® products,” the brand shared in a statement. “We remain committed to maintaining the highest level of product quality and have taken action to help ensure we live up to those standards.”
Zee Krstic is a health editor for Good Housekeeping, where he covers health and nutrition news, decodes diet and fitness trends and reviews the best products in the wellness aisle. Prior to joining GH in 2019, Zee fostered a nutrition background as an editor at Cooking Light and is continually developing his grasp of holistic health through collaboration with leading academic experts and clinical care providers. He has written about food and dining for Time, among other publications.